The Fork in the Road...

We are a happy family of three, traveling along this beautiful road we call life. We've been enjoying the ride and loving the scenery, however, in our attempts to increase our numbers our road has become a little bumpy and the path a little foggy. It was while we were struggling through the fog that the road sign emerged: DETOUR. And so we've taken the detour and have been watching it lead our lives on a journey much fuller and richer than we could have imagined...

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ding Dong Ditching...

We are still in the early stages of the adoption process...aka: PAPERWORK! We've been filling out countless questionaires on paper and online about ourselves, our parenting techniques, our family life and history, and all of the wonderful things associated with the details of our lives. In these questionaires they've asked us how we have or plan to tell the children in our home about our decision to adopt. We thought it over and decided since he was probably going to overhear a lot of conversations about the process, we should go ahead and tell Chase early on and see what his reaction would be. So, we sat him down one night after he had been asking again about how his friends had siblings and we talked a bit about adoption. Granted, we didn't go into all the details or the reasons why we were taking this road, but he was so excited and accepting. He could care less HOW his little brother or sister came into our family, so long as they make it here. So the other day when the UPS guy rang the doorbell Chase came sprinting to the door yelling, "Maybe it's our new baby!" LOL! Yeah - we had another chat about how long it might be before our new addition arrives and how it probably wouldn't be arriving UPS (Fedex is WAY faster!)...

These kids are so remarkable and such a great reminder of what really is important in this life. Now I can't relate to someone who has never had a child of their own, as I have had the extreme gift of carrying a child, but as I've traveled along this path, I've felt my selfishness of wanting to carry another one melt away. It's like the further we go toward adoption, the more at ease I feel about it. My inklings about the final family picture is interesting, and not one I ever really pictured before - I don't think anyone pictures themselves as having fertility problems and we all enter this stage of our lives with our teenage perspective of cute little babies to dress up and being the prettiest and most adorable pregnant woman alive! You know? I'm starting to believe that the masterpiece that is being constructed, though difficult to paint, and sometimes even more difficult to see, will be far superior to my teenaged stick-figure drawing!

4 comments:

Mel said...

Oh, how I love my Monica. You are truly amazing and I am in aw of you all the time. Thank you for being such an inspiration to me. I love you!!!!

Wilken Family... Mary, Dave, Andrew & Emily said...

You are truly inspiring and I wish you much success in the adoption process. Life always seems to throw us curve balls... thanks for sharing this process with us. Love you.

Krista said...

I am so impressed by your attitude and I think you are amazing. I hope everything works out for you just like it is supposed to. I'll be thinking about you lots!!

Valerie said...

That story of Chase is the cutest! Thanks for sharing you story with us. No doubt it will continue to be an ispiration to all of us.